The Hayseed is a custom-designed one-of-a-kind home featuring:
- 120 sq. ft. main floor including full kitchen and bathroom
- 72 sq. ft. loft divided in half by a raised sleeping platform designed to accommodate a queen-sized bed — this loft has significantly more headroom than your standard tiny house!
- 24 sq. ft. covered porch brings total living space to 216 sq. ft.
- A gambrel roof style which creates a rustic barn-like appearance on the exterior while maximizing interior ceiling height
- Plumbing and electrical designed as "plug and play," ready to go as soon as the house arrives
- Easily convertible to off-grid infrastructure (grey water/solar power)
- Heavy duty 20 ft. 10,000 lb trailer, so it’s ready to go anywhere!
A FOCUS ON RECLAIMED MATERIALS
- The exterior siding of the Hayseed was sourced from a century-old abandoned blacksmith shop in the Bitterroot Valley. The Hayseed team worked personally with Heritage Timber of Missoula, MT to deconstruct and reclaim every stick of useable wood from this piece of American history. When you see the result we think that you’ll agree that it was well worth the effort!
- Interior siding is tongue and groove pine salvaged by Heritage Timber and lovingly restored by the Hayseed team
- All doors, windows (double-paned throughout), and cabinets were sourced from Home Resource in Missoula, MT and the Habitat for Humanity Restore in Hamilton, MT
- Kitchen counter is a stunning slab of silver maple, cut by Bad Goat Milling in Missoula from city tree removal contracts, and shaped and finished by the Hayseed team
- Three-inch rigid foam insulation from Heritage Timber
- Custom fabricated metal features from the Hayseed shop
- Brand new coreten roofing designed to last up to 80 years without maintenance
- 3/8 inch solid strand-woven bamboo flooring
- All electrical fixtures and wiring
- Propane tanks, regulator, pipes, and fittings
- All plumbing fixtures and piping, with the exception of a beautifully restored toilet and kitchen sink from Home Resource
Every appliance in the Hayseed is brand new to ensure a maintenance-free living experience.
TAKAGI T-KJR-2-IN-LP LIQUID PROPANE INDOOR TANKLESS WATER HEATER
- 140,000 BTU
- Easy-to-use, push-button temperature adjustment
- 6.6 GPM max flow rate
- Inlet, outlet thermistors for constant temperature monitoring
RINNAI EX11-CP LIQUID PROPANE DIRECT VENT WALL FURNACE
- Seven-stage modulating gas valve
- 80 percent AFUE rating
- "Cool-to-the-touch" cabinet
- 11,000 BTU/hour gas rate input
ATWOOD LIQUID PROPANE 17" 3-BURNER PIEZO STOVE/RANGE
- 9,000 BTU main burner
- Two 6,500 BTU rear burners
- 450 degree temperature range oven
- Built-in broiler section
- Adjustable racks
Danby 9.2 cu ft Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Dimensions 59 13/16" H x 26 7/16" D x 23 13/16" W
- Electronic thermostat
- Interior lighting
- Freezer compartment with adjustable/removable wire shelf
- Refrigerator with 2 adjustable full-width glass shelves, vegetable crisper and cover
BROAN F40000 SERIES STAINLESS STEEL 4-WAY CONVERTIBLE RANGE HOOD
The Hayseed Story
It is a great fortune to choose where you will wake up everyday.
For three months Nick Nelson and Max Hewes chose to wake up in a small shop in Montana's Bitterroot Valley. Seven days a week these two carpenters put every ounce of their energy into a small structure so that it could become a home whose occupant could rise every day, happier for their choice.
To build a small home is no small feat. This builder-designed home is the cooperative’s third tiny home and the culmination of years of work and planning to create a low-impact, high-function residence. Every element was carefully formed to maximize utility and beauty while minimizing the massive waste normally associated with new construction.